Friday 5 January 2018

2018's Big Events


I mentioned in my last post that I have 2 big events this year.  I really need to save as much as I can!  My middle son is currently living and working (for Hilton) in Australia and the plan is to visit him this summer ✈ He's now in Cairns which is an area I actually visited 12 years ago.  It's beautiful.  He has his own apartment with a spare bedroom so we'll stay with him to save some money.  OH is actually an Australian citizen.  He emigrated there in the 90s but came back to Scotland.  His brother still lives in Perth (remember the wedding in Singapore?) and his wife is about to have their first baby very soon.  So we'll be visiting them too.  That will need to be a hotel stay so some expense there.  Eeeek!!


The second big expense is that I'm going to buy a flat for my eldest son to live in.  It will give him security no matter his benefit/job situation and will actually be less expensive than him paying rent to a property company.  Obviously he can't get a mortgage because he doesn't have a job or a deposit.  But I can take care of both these issues and have already started sorting all the legal bits.  Ironically he/we will end up saving £250 a MONTH!!  In his current circumstances paying a mortgage is cheaper than paying rent.  So we're now on the lookout for a ground floor flat in the city centre 😊

I know I am very lucky to be in a financial position to fund both these events.  I already live well on less than half my salary and with a bit of determination I can get that down to about a third.

So 2 really big reasons to live even more frugally and save as much as I can 💰

13 comments:

  1. Wow-that’s an incentive for saving. Good luck with your plans. Our new abode ths year will be our long awaited motor home. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really miss our campervan but we knew we were going to Australia this year so sold it last summer while it still held it's value. Good luck with your motor home :-)

      Delete
  2. All the best with your plans Ali - I know how determined you are x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your son is very fortunate to have that kind of help, and you have a lot of incentive for saving. I hope it all works out well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, big incentive. He needs the help now and I can do it so why wait? Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly :-)

      Delete
  4. Wow, those are two big events!! That will be great security for your eldest son and give you some peace of mind. A trip to Australia-you deserve it. You have accomplished so much in the last few years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's good to look back over my blog and see how far I've come. I never dreamed things would get to this stage :-)

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful year ahead. I think its brilliant you can buy your son a flat. Too many people keep their money to leave to their children when the children really could do with it now. I too am saving this year to go to visit my youngest son who lives in Sydney. I'm not planning to go until early next year but on a very small fixed pension its going to be a slog to save enough but I'll do it :D He was home this Christmas but plans to go to his girlfriends parents in Toronto next christmas so I've good incentive to live a very small life this year! Good luck with your saving and finding a home for your son. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my thinking exactly!! Why should he wait until I'm dead before he gets any inheritance? Both his brothers are happy that he gets his share early.

      Good luck with your saving. Flights to Australia are so expensive xxx

      Delete
    2. Hi, hope you don't mind me joining in but if we tried to do this in England we would be accused of deprivation of assets if we ever needed care. Is it different in Scotland?

      Delete
    3. Yes, it's different here. We get free personal care if it's needed in later life. I am doing everything by the book so there are no problems further down the line :-)

      Delete
  6. I really like you post good blog,Thanks for your sharing.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks