Saturday 9 April 2016

Aloo Tikki


I was looking for a different potato recipe to try and found this recipe for Aloo Tikki.  They're vegetarian so perfect for The Teenager too.  I tweaked it a bit so here's my version.

Ingredients
  • 4 medium to large sized potatoes, skin on
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 inch piece of fresh ginger root, grated
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1/3 cup coriander (I used frozen)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 tbsp gram flour
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • cooking oil
Either chop potatoes and boil until tender or microwave them.  I microwaved mine.  Roughly mash them leaving a few visible lumps.

Gently fry onion, ginger, garlic, turmeric, garam masala and cumin for a few minutes to release the spices then mix with mashed potatoes.  Add everything else and stir well to combine.

Roll mixture into small balls (golf ball size) and flatten into pattie shapes.  Fry until golden on both sides.

I got 26 patties from this amount of mixture.  I'm going to try freezing them (if there's any left) to see if these would be good for The Teenage to keep on stand by for a cheap easy meal with beans.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. I'll have to give it a try as I really like Indian food.
    Have you seen the film "The Hundred Foot Journey"? Excellent story and well made film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not seen it but looks like my thing. Big Helen Mirren fan cos she just doesn't give a shit and Lasse Hallestrom's films too (Chocolat is still one of my all time fav films) Will look out for it

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks