Saturday 5 September 2015

Busy busy busy!

 
Thank you so much for all the lovely comments on my last post.  I'd love to be able to say it's been a better week but that would be a lie.  We have a young probationer teacher who lives near me so I've been taking her home some nights.  This week she admitted that she goes home exhausted every night and just cries.  That tells me something is very wrong with our profession.  She should be perky and full of annoying enthusiasm, not demoralised after just 3 weeks.  Everyone I know who's not in teaching keeps telling me to change jobs.  It's not so easy at my age and frankly the salary is too good compared to everything else.  However, I am applying for another job in a different school.  Maybe a change of venue will help.
 
Meanwhile I'm keeping busy.  OH and his teenogre are away all weekend doing boy stuff so I've been busy doing house and garden stuff.  I let the chickens out to free range round the garden.  It was a lovely autumnal day here.  They were a bit timid at first but were soon pulling up my weeds!

 
The view from inside



Ha ha, the view of Emma from outside!! She's still inclined to 'rush' at the girls so for their first outing I kept her inside.  Lucy stayed out though.  She didn't even bat an eyelid.  She's so chilled. 

 
There's not much colour left in the garden.  But my Echinacea plants are in flower.  Sadly no bees though. 

 
A lone flower

 
And a wee splash of orange in the corner

 
Today I've been busy baking.  Some banana bread (left) and Helen's Brilliant Bread (right)


I used up some shop bought eggs to make Broccoli and Goat's Cheese muffins and Sweetcorn muffins.  No flour, just eggs, veg and cheese.  Even The Teenager liked them!!  I'm going freeze what's left (!) for lunches next week.

 
I also started some blackcurrant gin using this method. My lovely mum gave me a bottle of gin ages ago but I seem to have 'gone off' gin.  Weird, huh?  Waste not, want not.  I had some blackcurrants in the freezer so started a batch today.  In a few months it'll be ready to bottle.  That's some Christmas presents sorted already.  I read about Karon's strawberry gin jam this week so think I'll have a go at Blackcurrant Gin Jam too.  Double waste not, want not!

 
Today's quick pop in to Sainsbury's resulted in a box of ripe mangoes.  I haven't decided what I'll do with them yet.  Maybe just blitz and freeze for smoothies.  Or mango chutney.  Decisions, decisions ;-)

3 comments:

  1. For me, mango chutney everytime! Teehee, winter curries beckon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, mango chutney everytime! Teehee, winter curries beckon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't go wrong with a mango chutney :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks