Monday 17 November 2014

Potatoes, tatties, spuds....

What can you do with a 2.5kg bag of potatoes that cost only £1.25?
 
 
Make rosti by grating 2 large potatoes (skin on), squeeze out the excess liquid, season well and fry in small heaps in oil until crispy and brown. Be brave and don't turn them over until they're really brown on the first side.  I made 8 but some got eaten before I got my camera out!!
 

Make stuffed cheesy baked potatoes by baking 4 potatoes until the skins are crisp and the insides soft.  Cut them in half and scoop out the flesh.  Mix with butter and grated cheese and pile back into the shells.  Reheat until the tops start to brown.  This is a family favourite :-) They also freeze.

 
Boil the rest and turn into mash to top one individual cottage pie (using yesterday's batch
cooked mince), one decent sized pie for 2 hungry people and a portion for my lunch at work today.


Honey and Tamari baked chicken mini fillets ready for stir fries
 

Lots of cheap nutritious filling meals for not much money and just a bit of effort.  I'm going to try to make more of an effort at weekends to stock up on meals for the week ahead and for the freezer.

1 comment:

  1. We bought a giant bag a few weeks back in Morrisons, we know we are never going to get through all of them but it was cheaper to buy them that way, but I think I will do some mash for the freezer, I have never tried the rosti, but I will give it a go this week, I can't abide wasting anything.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks