Sunday 1 June 2014

And so it begins


The first digging on my allotment :-)


That wee corner filled this wheelbarrow 4 times!!


As expected the weeds have had a field day.  Mum reckons it's been more than a year since the plot was last worked.  No problem, I'm just going to take my time and dig a little each time I go.  My immediate plans are to put in potatoes, leeks, onions and courgettes.  I have some sweetcorn but not too sure if they're hardy enough for our damp climate.  A neighbouring plot has some but theirs are much bigger than mine.  I'm going to put in a bench so I can sit down and have breaks/lunch.  There are no sheds on the site so I'll need to take my tools with me each time or invest in some sort of low level locker with a padlock.

Everyone there was friendly with a few coming over to introduce themselves and wish me well.  I think I'm going to enjoy it there :-)

3 comments:

  1. My goodness, that looks like a lot of work. You'll definitely need a bench for regular breaks. I admire the fact that you are taking this on, but I'm sure it will be well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are usually a friendly bunch at the allotments, you'll have lots of like minded friends in no time and a wealth of information to pick up on. It's backbreaking at first though you have my every sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't you google 'no dig' gardening by Charles Dowling - far easier on the back!!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks